Site Meter Peculiar Susceptibility: "another, and truer, way"

Friday, June 6, 2008

"another, and truer, way"



It's raining again this morning and I stayed in bed far too long, luxuriating in the sound of it and then luxuriating in some poetry. [Times like these I wish for everyone that they have some time in a quiet bed on a June morning to read poems.]

I had picked up John Ashbery's Three Poems for no particular reason but that it was by my bed. It occurs to me that the technique of leaving out - actually composing and then removing text, negative space left behind in the poem - is one that would be particularly well-suited to the personal history and poetic prosthesis series.

I'm off now, to dia:beacon to fight valiantly the urge to wrap my body around and into some Richard Serras.

Later, I'll meet Salman Rushdie. [Right now, you can imagine me swooning all over my office...]

Still later, I'll surround myself with roller derby girls. [Still more swooning...]

There's a part of me that longs for some modern form of Stendhal Syndrome.

2 comments:

betsy q. bramble said...

Rainy days in June are perfect for negative space. Just wait until you experience the negative space of Serra's pieces. For me, that was the most gargantuan aspect of the work...more so than the steel.

Meghan Maguire Dahn said...

I mostly want to experience the negative space in YOUR work.